A wide variety of wines are offered to us, where flavors, aromas and textures blend together with harmony and balance. However, environmental awareness also affects wine consumers and pushes them to consume better. Between awareness and the search for emotions in wines, consumers seek to live an experience by drinking wine without sulfites. Wine lovers therefore seek to consume wines without chemical inputs, wines without added sulfites, natural wines. These natural wines are more than a trend now, they have their unique benefits and characteristics.
What is a sulfite-free wine?
To put it simply, the sulfites present and authorized in wine are first of all SO2, sulfur dioxide, but also bisulphites, etc. They are therefore chemical substances added to control the wine. A sulfite-free wine by definition is a wine produced without the addition of added sulfites, without chemical inputs. If sulfur exists, it is mostly sulfur present naturally in the grapes, or it is up to a homeopathic dose authorized to maintain the wine over time. Sulfites, which are usually in the form of sulfur dioxide, are used in wine production to prevent oxidation and the growth of undesirable bacteria. But these chemicals can cause bad reactions for people who are sensitive or allergic to sulfites, such as gastric problems, skin reactions, respiratory problems, etc. Hence the importance for wine lovers to consume wines without sulfites.
The benefits of sulfite-free wines
- Better tolerance for sensitive people: Sulfites can cause many adverse effects in some people. Sulfite-free wines give you a healthy experience, without these side effects.
- More authentic flavors: thanks to organic and/or biodynamic farming and natural vinification, wines without sulfites give more emotions, they reflect better their soil, they are real pure grape juice.
- A respected environment: the winegrowers who work in a natural way respect the environment. No pesticides are used in the vineyard, no chemical inputs for winemaking. A clean grape for a healthy wine.
Characteristics of sulfite-free wines
- More sensitive wines: wines without sulfites are not protected like conventional wines. Only nature has worked to transform these grapes into wine, they are more sensitive, more fragile. They must be handled with care, they must be kept in a suitable place.
- Wines for laying down: it is said that wines without sulfites should be drunk quickly, that they cannot be kept over time. It is true that on the one hand, natural wines are to be consumed more quickly than conventional wines, but for all that, there are wines without sulfites which keep extremely well over time, such as those of Maison Valette for example, or the wines of the Gramenon estate.
- Informative labels: Many winegrowers now designate on the label whether the wine is without added sulfites or not. It is therefore necessary to read the labels carefully or seek advice to ensure that the wine chosen is perfect for you.
Bottom Line: Wines without added sulfites offer a better alternative for environmentally conscious, wine-conscious wine lovers. These natural wines make it possible to discover the true flavors of a soil, a grape variety, a vintage and to support the winegrowers who use these natural production methods, which respect the environment. In search of emotions, novelties, a clean wine? Do not hesitate to taste our natural wines, our wines without sulfites.