The Savoy wine region is located in the French Alps and is famous for its dry white wines. In Savoy, the most frequently grown grape varieties are Jacquère, Roussette for white wines, as well as Mondeuse and Persan for red wines. Savoy wines are often associated with a fresh and fruity style. The winegrowers who produce natural wines from Savoy cultivate their land organically, even biodynamically, to produce natural wines from the soil. The Savoy region is an ideal wine-growing area to discover wines made with respect for the soil and consumers. On epi-curieux.com, you will find wines from many Savoy wine estates to order online, or at your natural wine cellar in Chambéry!
The grape varieties of Savoy wines
The vineyards of Savoy are renowned for their great diversity of grape varieties. Here is a list of some of the most commonly grown grape varieties in the region, along with their primary characteristics:
- Jacquère: This is the most widely grown white grape variety in Savoy. It gives dry and light wines, ideal for your winter dishes in the mountains. We find, for example, the white wines of Mathieu Apffel.
- Altesse: also commonly called Roussette, this white grape variety common in Savoy produces dry and refined wines, often accompanied by a nice tension. To be found on the tables at the start of the meal.
- Roussanne: this grape variety present in the Chignin-Bergeron appellation offers powerful notes of honey and aromas of apricot.
- Chasselas: very present on the shores of Lake Geneva, this white grape variety is historic in the Savoy vineyard. You will find the perfect expression especially in the bottles of Damien Bastian Ça Boit Libre.
- Mondeuse: This is a red grape variety typical of Savoy, which produces fruity and full-bodied wines with aromas of red fruits and spicy notes. Find our selection of Mondeuse de Savoie on epi-curieux!
- Gringet: This is an autochthonous white grape variety that is less and less cultivated, producing dry and mineral wines. At Les Vins de Belema, you will find this grape variety in several of their bottles.
- Persan: It is a red grape variety that gives wines of great structure and long aging with intense aromas of black fruits.
The dry white wines of Savoy are the hidden gems of French wines. These wines are fresh and fruity, perfect to accompany your summer and winter meals. Discover the dry white wines of Savoy and appreciate their finesse and elegance. You will not be disappointed!